Worcester’s First Night is now the oldest

By Richard Duckett TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF

Full and original article posted on Telegram & Gazette

WORCESTER —  With First Night Boston scheduled to cease operations on Sunday, First Night Worcester is about to become the oldest celebration of its kind in the country.

And there will be a First Night Worcester 2014 on Dec. 31, said the organization’s executive director, Howard McGinn. “We are definitely going ahead,” McGinn said Friday. “I’m planning on a really good event.” He said he has already booked “10-15 solid acts” and is lining up venues from Lincoln Square to City Hall Plaza.

McGinn said he was “surprised and saddened” with last week’s announcement that First Night Boston is closing down. On First Night Boston’s website, executive director Geri Guardino states, “On behalf of the board and staff of First Night Boston, and with a heavy heart, I am writing to let you know that First Night will cease operations on June 30, 2013 … The last several years have become increasingly challenging for us, and our business model is no longer sustainable.”

Click here to read more.

July 1st 2013 by FNW
Categories: News |